Setting Up Slack

Why are we using Slack instead of Blackboard, Google Classroom, or something else?

I’ve been using Slack since the beginning of distance learning. I keep bringing it back every semester because students seem to really like it. I think this is, in part, because it makes it really easy to get in touch with me and with each other. Reminders come directly to your phone. It feels more like texting, and it’s a little more fun.

You also have some control over which notifications you receive (i.e. it’s not like in Blackboard where you get the announcement no matter what.) I think that this feature makes it easier to keep you on track and to remind you when work is due while also letting you decide what works for you.

Also, since I don’t give individual grades on assignments, Slack gives me an easier way to keep track of your progress with you than the Blackboard gradebook, which just doesn’t really work with a gradeless classroom. For all of these reasons, I’ve continued to use Slack.

How do I sign up and use Slack?

Please follow ALL SEVEN of the steps below, which will help you to sign in to Slack and to get started with some of its basic features. It would be best if you could do this before class on Thursday, January 26th so that we can troubleshoot any issues or questions that you have during Conference Hours, but it’s OK to finish it up within the first full week of classes, too.

Step 1: First, download Slack!

Go here to download Slack to Windows devices.

Go here to download Slack to Mac devices.

I recommend that you also download the Slack app to your phone or tablet through using whatever kind of app store you use on your device. This way, you can get notifications on the go.

Step 2: Sign in to Slack

I sent you an e-mail with a link that will allow you to join our Slack channel. Once you have downloaded Slack, click on the link in your e-mail, which will allow you to make an account and join the class team. If you didn’t get that link, e-mail me ASAP at lindsey.albracht@qc.cuny.edu.

Step 3: Get Oriented

The video below takes you on a tour of how to find things in Slack once you have downloaded it and joined the team. You can watch this if you’d like to get a broad overview of the platform, or you can skip this and go to the next step, especially if you’ve used Slack or Discord before.

Step 4: Upload your picture and record the pronunciation of your name

It’s helpful to me to see your picture and hear you pronounce your own name so that I can learn it faster. Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to do this (note: there are a few more steps after this, so please keep going with the instructions!)

Step 5: Find the class Zoom information

This is an in-person class, but it’s possible that we could have to meet remotely because of bad weather or illness. It’s also possible that you can’t make it to my office hours and we’ll need to meet outside of them sometimes. Please find our virtual classroom in the #zoom channel and take note of the password to access it.

Step 6: Send me a DM.

I will periodically send you direct messages (DMs) on Slack, and you can also use this feature to communicate with me or with your classmates. To complete this step, send me a DM. (1) Let me know about any dietary restrictions that you have (I will sometimes bring food to class), (2) Let me know if you have any classes before this class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and (3) Send me the password from the #zoom channel. Not sure where to find the DMs? Check out the video below:

Step 7: Find your personal channel

Once you send me a DM, I’m going to make you a private channel which only you and I will be able to see. I will use this channel to help you to keep track of what you’ve turned in and how many requirements it has met.

After I make this channel, I will put a message there and tag you so that you can see it. When you see the message, put ANY emoji on it. That’s the last step!